The Harris - Lass House Museum is located at 1889 Market Street in Santa Clara, California. It is the last farm site in the city of Santa Clara and is named for the two families who owned and lived on the property for 125 years. The museum consists of the house, a classic California barn, summer kitchen, tank house, landscaped gardens and Heritage Orchard.
The house was built in 1865 in the Italianate style — balanced and symmetrical. In the 1890’s it was extensively enlarged and remodeled, changing the symmetry of the original design. It is fully furnished, most of the furniture and contents having belonged to the Lass family.
The City of Santa Clara bought the property in 1987 and after extensive restoration, it opened to the public in 1991. Although owned by the City, the site is operated by the Historic Preservation Society of Santa Clara, a non-profit public benefit corporation, and staffed entirely by volunteers.
The Historic Preservation Society board usually meets on the second Thursday of the month from 10 am to 12 noon in the barn classroom at the Harris Lass Museum. Members and the public are always welcome to attend. To confirm the meeting date and time, please call the message line at 408-249-7905 or email email@example.com
Museum Opening Times:
The museum is closed for the winter season. Scheduled docent tours will start again on May 3rd, 2020. Tours are scheduled for the first Sunday of the month, May to October from 1 to 3pm.
Call to request a tour at other times including for weekday, group or school tours. The museum message line is 408-249-7905 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The museum and grounds are not currently available for private rental events